On the basis of professional advices from NVE and the latest weather prognosis, The Governor has decided that further areas in Longyearbyen will not be evacuated tonight. – We will have a new meeting about the situation tomorrow morning at 09.30 hours, Governor Kjerstin Askholt states.

NVE still considers that there is no risk that avalanches will reach the inhabited areas in Longyearbyen. It may be a risk of avalanches in exposed mountain slopes, but these slides will not reach the inhabited areas. Nybyen is more exposed, and the evacuation of the area will continue until further notice.

- We will follow the development of the weather and the risk of avalanche danger throughout the evening and night, the Governor says. She emphasizes that it is generally a large avalanche risk, and urges people to refrain to enter the terrain.